Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Mixing things up

Ben and I finally decided that it was time to kick Benson out of the crib.  Tanner has been sleeping in the living room for the last 9 months and Benson has been occupying the crib.  Why?  When Tanner was born Benson was definitely not ready to be out of the crib.  Thankfully we had a pack n' play and it has been Tanner's bed for the last 9 months.
We decided to buy Reese a new bed and put Benson in Reese's old bed because it is the perfect bed for someone who isn't use to sleeping in a caged bed.  There are rails all the way around the bed so there is no possible way for Benson to fall out.

About a week before we bought the new bed we started talking to Benson about switching beds.  I told him that he was going to sleep in Reese's old bed and that it was a BIG BOY BED!  Benson looked at me and said, no Mommy I sleep in the crib.  I tried telling him that babies sleep in cribs and that he was a big boy.  That didn't work.  He looked at me again and said, no Mommy I sleep in the crib.  That bed (pointing the Reese's bed) is Reesie's bed. 

Every time I talked to him about sleeping in a big boy bed he just looked at me confused and told me that his bed was the crib.  Talking to Benson about switching beds didn't seem to be working so now it was time for a bribe, because I am all about bribes and let's face it Benson will do just about anything for a bribe. 
We took Benson to the store and told him to pick out a new blanket for his bed.  We looked at Superheros, Cars, Ninja Turtles, Planes, and Legos.  He didn't really get excited about any of them until we found, Despicable Me!  He grabbed the blanket and wouldn't let it go!  We had found the perfect bribe and Benson was now ready to sleep in his big boy bed if he could have a Despicable Me blanket.

The night of the old switcheroo came and we sat down with Benson and explained that he was not to get out of his bed unless mommy or daddy came into the room to get him.  He looked at us and said, okay I won't get out of my Despicable Me bed. 

We put all three kids in their "new" beds and closed the door.  It was a miracle!  The all slept and Ben and I could enjoy spending time in our living room again!
And Benson did not get out of his bed until I came into the room the next morning!  I kind of thought it might be a fluke and thought at nap time he would get out of his bed.  Nope!  He has been in his big boy bed for about a week now and he doesn't get out of his bed unless mommy or daddy comes in to get him out!  He has been awesome and we should have done this a LONG time ago!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...