Yes my friends I contracted Contact Dermatitis!!! Or in other words... I had an allergic reaction and it was awful.
At the end of July I noticed that I had a rash on my shoulders. It was anything terrible and it itched occasionally. A week and a half passed and it was still there. Our pool had been closed forever and it had just opened up on a Thursday so the kids and I decided to go for a much needed swim. We got our swim suits on, lathered up with some sunblock, and we had a blast at the pool. All was well in Zion because my kids nap fantastically well after a morning spent at the pool, which makes me a very happy mama!
Later that night as I was getting ready for bed my shoulders were itching like CRAZY!!!! Ben suggested putting some Aloe Vera on my shoulders to help with all the itching. At that point I was up for anything so I smeared that junk all over my shoulders and went to bed.
I woke up in the middle of the night itching even worse, except it wasn't just my shoulders anymore it was my neck and chest as well. I was going crazy with all the itching so I got up and put some more Aloe Vera on my shoulders and neck. Eventually the itching calmed down a little and I was able to go back to sleep.
The next morning I woke up itching like a mad woman and my shoulders, chest, and neck were covered in red dots. I smeared some more Aloe Vera on myself and went about my morning chores. I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to the dryer sheets {I had just switched brands} so I got rid of them. Then I started washing all of our clothes again to get that toxic stuff out of my house. As I was doing the laundry I noticed that my face was getting more and more swollen and the red splotchiness was spreading to my face. By the end of the day I looked pretty pathetic. We fed the missionaries that night and I was pretty embarrassed about how awful I looked.
As I got ready for bed that night I decided to not put any more Aloe Vera on my skin just in case I was allergic to Aloe Vera. I put lotion everywhere,took some ibuprofen, and went to bed. Well I woke up in the middle of the night itching like crazy again and I just couldn't sleep because I itched EVERYWHERE!
Finally morning came and unfortunately my rash or the itching wasn't getting any better. Unfortunately, I had decided that I couldn't take this anymore and I wanted to see a doctor, NOW! Unfortunately, it was Saturday which meant there were no doctor offices open. We debated going to the QuickCare place but decided to go to Walgreen's and talk to the Pharmacist. The Pharmacist told me I should buy some Benadryl and Cortisone Cream. I bought both and we headed home. I took some Benadryl and put Cortisone cream everywhere and then went back to bed. Ben was awesome and took all the kids swimming so I could get some rest.
As the day went on I didn't get any better and we were feeding the missionaries again that night. Ben went back to Walgreen's to look for some Anti fungal cream because someone had recommended it. While he was there a nurse came and talked to Ben and asked him what he was looking for. Ben explained what was happening to me and the nurse told me to go to the QuickCare and see a doctor.
We fed the missionaries and then Ben asked them to help him give me a blessing. I am so grateful for the Priesthood and for the calming effect it has one me. I had been a stressed mess all day long. I was covered in hives/red dots and I felt like I wanted to claw my face off. That blessing helped me in so many ways and I will always be grateful to have a husband who holds the Priesthood.
After the missionaries left I went to the QuickCare and waited. Ben showed up with the kids after I had been waiting for about an hour and we continued to wait. We finally saw a doctor and he asked me what was going on. I explained everything and he looked at me for 2 seconds and told me I was having an allergic reaction and that they would give me a steroid shot. He asked us if we had any questions and we asked our questions and then he was gone. It was less than 5 minutes and then the nurse came in and gave me a shot in the butt-ox! Reese and Benson were quite excited to see mom get a shot and Benson even held my hand while I received my shot.
We went home and the next morning I looked drastically better. I filled my prescriptions and within the next week I was almost better. I still had a little bit a rash on my arms but it wasn't bugging me.
Two weeks ago my sister and nephew came to visit and we went swimming a lot! I didn't use the same sunscreen that I used the day my rash spread everywhere. I was nervous about using sunscreen because my oh so wise mama had said that it might have been the sunscreen.
After my sister and nephew left we all went swimming on a Saturday. For some reason I decided to use "the sunscreen" from the day my rash spread again. The next day my arms, hands, shoulders, and chest were covered in red dots again. But thankfully I only itched on my arms and hands. FINALLY!!! I had discovered what I was allergic to. I took that sunscreen and threw it in the trash. For the next few days I took Benadryl and lathered up in Cortisone cream until the itchiness and red dots went again.
I am so glad I finally figured out what was causing my allergic reaction! I have been Contact Dermatitis free for two weeks now and it was WONDERFUL!! I will definitely make sure to never buy CHEAP sunscreen again! From now on I will splurge and buy the good stuff because I cannot handle another allergic reaction like that again!
1 comment:
I'm so sorry Kristen! I know exactly how you feel! When I was pregnant with Jay (which means no steroids, just Benadryl every 4 hours) I had a reaction to antibiotics. The hives covered my ENTIRE body from head to toe for a week. It even hurt to swallow! There were so many hives that they had merged into large blotches instead of little bumps. My skin was like hamburger meat and I could barely walk because of swollen hive feet! I feel so bad for anyone who has ever gone through it! It was horrible! I'm so glad the steroid shot helped and that you figured out what was causing it!
Post a Comment