Sunday, November 17, 2013

Tanner Robert Call

I had been talking about induction with my doctor for a while because of our crazy lives.  I was so thankful when he told me I could be induced on November 14th.  When he told me the 14th, I thought about it for two seconds and said yes!  It was okay that the 14th was the day Ben's mom was flying in and the day of my baby shower.  I wanted to be induced and I was definitely not going to turn it down. 

Ben and I got up at 5 a.m. so we could make it to the hospital by 6:30.  We dropped Reese and Benson off at my friend Kelsey's house and off we went.  It was baby time!

I was a little nervous to deliver somewhere else besides my beloved Rexburg but thankfully when we got to the hospital everyone was so nice and super helpful.  They got me into my room right away and the waiting game started. 

They started me on Pitocin at about 7:30.  They checked me and I was at a 2.  My doctor {Dr. Sakovich} came in at about 9 a.m. and broke my water.  My contractions weren't painful at all and half the time I didn't know that I was having a contraction. 

After Doctor Sakovich broke my water, I decided that I needed to get up and go to the bathroom.  I stood up and took a step towards the bathroom and GUSH, my water was definitely leaking now.  Instead of sitting back down on the bed I decided to keep walking towards the bathroom because I couldn't possibly leak anymore.  Was I wrong.  I took another two steps and GUSH more water everywhere.  I kept walking towards the bathroom and with each step more water came gushing out of me, down my legs and onto the floor.  I laughed and told Ben I feel like I just peed all over the floor!  Thankfully I made it to the bathroom without slipping.  As I was getting back into my bed the nurses came in and saw the mess I had made.  I told them what had happened and they started laughing {thankfully}.  They cleaned me up and the floor and told me next time I had to go to make sure I kept a towel between my legs.  Why didn't I think of that?

The morning went by slowly.  They checked me again at 11 and I was still a 2.  I was little discouraged.  They upped my Pitocin and the contractions really started hurting.  Ben was great and held my hand through each contraction.  About noon I asked for my epidural.  Unfortunately, it took another hour before they could get me those wonderful drugs.

At 1:15 I finally received my epidural, I was in heaven.  It was the perfect epidural and I felt no pain, only a little pressure with each contraction.  At 1:45 they checked me again and I was at a 4.  Thankfully something was finally happening.  After I got the epidural, I decided that I was comfortable enough to sleep.  I tried but at about 3 p.m. I was feeling a TON of pressure in my bum.  I should have called the nurses right then but I decided to wait it out.  At 3:30 I couldn't take the pressure anymore and I called the nurses in to check me.  Sure enough I was ready to go.

The nurse had me do a practice push and as soon as I started pushing she told me to stop.  She told me she didn't want to deliver my baby and that she would go and call the doctor.  Well, my doctor was tied up at the moment and so they called in a midwife to deliver my baby because he was seriously ready to pop out.  Five minutes later the midwife was in my room and told me to push slowly because she didn't want me to tear.  I did a big slow push.  Then she told me to push again really slowly.  I was laughing and talking through all of this and the nurses commented that I was making this look too easy, that I was laughing my baby out! 

At 3:54 Tanner Robert Call was born.  We weighed in at 8 pounds and 4 ounces.  He gave us a little bit of a scare when he arrived.  They pulled him out and he was VERY purple and didn't make any noise at all.  His eyes were open but no sound was coming out of him.  They whisked him away and started to work on him and a few seconds later Tanner started to scream!  What a relief to hear his little cry!

Tanner is perfect!   We love his jet black hair and his little/big chubby cheeks.  We love him so much and it seems a little surreal to think we have three children now. 
Reese is the perfect big sister.  She is quite smitten with Tanner and stops whatever she is doing to check on her little brother every few minutes.
Benson on the other hand, well when he came to the hospital all he wanted to do was sit in my lap and if we brought Tanner near him he would say, no baby!
Since yesterday Benson has become more interested in Tanner.  He likes to point out Tanner's nose and eyes.  He likes to rub Tanner's back and he even wanted to hold him and kiss his forehead yesterday!  I was very surprised and excited that Benson wanted to so much to do with Tanner.  Hopefully, Benson is going to be a great big brother.

We love our little Tan-man and are so excited to have another little baby in our home.  We feel so blessed to expand our family and have the opportunity to raise and teach one of Heavenly Father's special spirit children.  We are so thankful Tanner is now a part of our family!

1 comment:

Steph Glazier-Collao said...

I can't believe you already blogged about this! You are amazing. I'm so happy you have your little Tanner with you and that you are doing well. He is a cutie :) Congratulations!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...