Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Daylight Savings

When I was a kid I hated daylight savings.  My bedtime was 8 p.m. and in the spring time after daylight savings it was still light outside.  My siblings and I complained that it was too early to go to bed and we couldn't go to sleep when the sun was till up.

Then I grew up and learned to really appreciated that extra hour of sleep you get in the fall after daylight savings.  I loved daylight savings because sometimes that extra hour of sleep made a huge difference {especially in college}.

Now I am a parent and unfortunately my kids don't understand when daylight savings take place.  Reese is usually up around 5:30 or 6 most mornings but with the time change she was waking up at 4:30 a.m.!!!!  That is WAY too early, especially for a sometimes moody 2 year-old.  She went three or four days straight waking up at 4:30 a.m. and would not go back to bed.  We choose not to fight her about it because Reese shares her room with Benson and we didn't want him to wake up too.  
But after 2 days of having a VERY moody child, Reese and I sat down and had a talk about sleeping.  I explained to her that sleeping is very important for us {especially a moody 2 year-old} so we can grow healthy and strong.  "Okay" Reese told me.  I thought okay this is going well so then I told her that she was not to get out of bed until the sun was up.  "Okay" Reese told me.  This is going wonderful I thought.

The next morning Reese was up at quarter to seven!!!  I was so excited about that!  I can handle getting up at 6:45.  The next morning was the same and has been the same since Reese and I sat down and talked about sleeping.  Life is great because we are all getting sleep and I have a happier 2 year-old.  Thank goodness!  

3 comments:

Jessica :) said...

Woohoo! I'm so glad she's sleeping better for you! It makes such a difference when everyone gets the sleep they need - especially, as you said, for moody 2-year-olds. :) I hope she keeps it up!

Sausha said...

4:30 is too early for you? We usually try to get up at 4 everyday... Okay, I lie. I'm terrible, if Esther wakes up before 6:30 I just pull her into bed with me and tell her to stay still until it stops working (generally works for 15-30 minutes).

Crystal and Kyle said...

4:30 is awful so glad she is sleeping later. My kids didn't seem to be affected very much my the time change. They do go to bed a bit earlier cuz it's darker outside sooner. I updated my blog a bit finally. I am going to try hard to be caught up before Christmas. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...