Monday, February 10, 2014

Benson's 2nd birthday

My Benson boy turned two last week and I can hardly believe it has been two years since he was born!  Where has the time gone?
He is such a big boy and has grown SO much in the past year.  He wants to do whatever Reese does and gets upset/frustrated when he can't do whatever she is doing.  Benson has the best smile and when he is happy that smile makes my day.
BUT when Benson is grumpy he is GRUMPY {with a capital G}.  Unfortunately on his birthday Benson woke up on the wrong side of the bed. 
Reese and I went into Benson's room to sing him happy birthday when he woke up, but when we started singing he told us to stop.  Then we took him out to the living room so he could see the decorations Ben and hung up the night before, Benson told us to take them down.  I tried to give him a present and he didn't want it.  I was a little deflated.  He finally opened his present and was excited to see Gru, but he still wouldn't smile. 
We got ready for the day and then I turned on Despicable Me 2 for Reese and Benson.  It was time for redemption.  Benson's birthday cake last year was pathetic.  I was not proud of what I created and it was time for me to redeem myself.  Reese was my taste tester and thankfully she approved!
Benson's cake took me all morning and afternoon to make, but I was so proud of what I had created! 
And when Benson woke up from his nap and I showed him his cake, lets just say his mood changed dramatically.  I think it was a combination of the nap and the very cool cake I made.  We made dinner {waffles which is Benson's very favorite food} and then opened presents once Ben got home from work.
Benson was spoiled by our families and got all kinds of fun things.  He was so excited about his presents and loved opening everything.  Reese had a hard time just sitting and watching and had to help him with everything. 
I think Benson's favorite present was his tee.  He doesn't know how to swing a bat yet.  We need to take the bat, tee, and ball outside and have a lesson or two on how to swing a bat.
After playing baseball in our apartment for a while, it was finally time for cake.  I was nervous Benson was going to hate us singing Happy Birthday to him but he was all smiles when it came to cake and ice cream.
We sang Happy Birthday loud and clear for all of our neighbors to hear and then Benson attempted to blow out his candles.  He was unsuccessful and then got scared because he got too close to the candles and could feel the heat coming off of them.  We eventually helped him out because he wouldn't go near the candles again.
Then it was time to dig in!  It was the most delicious chocolate cake I have had in a long time.  It was worth all the work because dang it was one of the BEST chocolate cakes I have ever had.
Happy birthday buddy!  We love you and your funny personality.  You always keep us guessing and make life so interesting.  You have a great love for life and we love your big happy smile.  You have been such a good brother to Tanner.  You love to cuddle and are so quick to give us hugs and kisses.  We love you Benson!  Happy 2nd Birthday!

1 comment:

Laura Cook said...

Yay! I'm glad he perked up for the rest of the day! Great job on the cake! I can't believe he's 2 already! I can't get over that adorable smile of his! He couldn't get any cuter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...