Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fiesta Days

In Spanish Fork we don't just celebrate Pioneer Day but we also celebrate Fiesta Days, which is like a 5 day celebration.  I loved Fiesta Days growing up and I was so excited to be home for another Fiesta Days.

We hit up the tents one night and got dinner.  It was delish.  After dinner we went over to the carnival because Reese had been begging for days to go and ride some rides at the carnival.  We rode the carousel first.  Benson could not wait to mount those horses.
Corbin was a good sport and rode the baby rides with Reese and Benson.  They were quite excited to ride the horsies and I was the only one who was brave enough to ride on the carousel with them.
Unfortunately all of the round-n-round movement of the carousel made me a little sick to my stomach and I soon realized why no else wanted to go on the carousel.
Then we headed to the tilt-a-whirl.  I so wish I could have gotten a picture of Reese's face, it was priceless.  She wasn't quite sure if it was fun or not and she looked a little nervous.  Thank goodness for Uncle Andy because he put his arm around her so she wouldn't go flying around and that seemed to calm her down and she didn't look quite as nervous.

The last ride they rode was the boats.  All I have to say about the boats is, if I had to work at the carnival I would not like to work at the boat ride.
They loved the boats and let me tell you they loved the bell about as much as the boat.  I was so ready for the ride to be over with.  Those darn bells are super loud and that is why I would not like to work the boat ride, but if I did I would definitely invest in some good ear plugs.

On the 24th we woke up early and headed out for the parade.  It was a perfect day for a parade because it wasn't hot at all.  It was overcast with a slight breeze.  You couldn't ask for a better day for a parade.
Candy was thrown out the whole time and unfortunately our kids didn't stand a chance at getting any candy with all of the big kids around.  There were some very nice kids who shared with Reese and Benson but thankfully Grandma and Grandpa were smart and brought their own treats.  That seemed to satisfy my kids cravings for candy.
Ben didn't feel so great on the 24th but he was a trooper and endured the very long parade with us.  Reese did a great job with the camera and captured Ben's various mood swings. 
The best part of the parade were the 2,000 stripling warriors.  They had gathered boys from all across Utah and Salt Lake counties so they would have enough boys to join in their army.
These boys were singing hymns the whole way and banging their sticks.  At one point they stopped and shouted "We do not doubt".  There were people wiping their eyes as these young men marched by.  It was truly incredible to see.
The best part was seeing my brother Jared marching, we waved and cheered for him and I am sure embarrassed him.  The 2,000 stripling warriors made the parade and  I was so glad I got to be there in person to see these boys marching together.

The parade was long and boring and we were ready to go about half way through, but I have been so excited to share some of the things I enjoyed doing as a child with my own children.
I know I have said this a ton but I am so glad we got to have a summer in Utah!  It has been a blast thus far and I know I am going to be sad to leave here in a few weeks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...