Yes I know that I am not the one going to grad school, but even though I am not technically the student I too have been learning a couple of VERY valuable lessons since Ben started grad school.
After Ben's first day of orientation he came home and told me that the professors told them that if they had a family here they should have left their family wherever they came from, because they were going to be REALLY busy and not be around much. When I heard that I laughed and thought I have been a wife of a summer salesmen for the past 3 years, I am use to Ben not being around much. Well, unfortunately we see less of Ben now than when he was selling for the summer. We see Ben in the morning for about an hour and on a good day, we see him for an hour or two at night. On a bad day, we see him the next morning.
Some days I feel like a single parent. Some days are harder than others. I miss going to bed at the same time as Ben. I am learning to be supportive. Although some days are definitely harder than others.
The next thing I have learned that dates are non-existent. Now I don't want Ben to feel bad about this. I am to blame too, but we have not been out on a date since March. We have been so busy and I am always so nervous to leave my kids with JUST anyone, so we have not been out in a long time. I miss being able to get dressed up and go out with JUST me and Ben. Our dates consist of Friday night, a redbox movie, and bowl of ice cream. Don't get me wrong I love me a redbox movie and ice cream but I am excited for the day when we have more time to go out, just the two of us.
I have learned that I need things to do with Reese each day or it makes for a VERY long day. I just barely joined Pintrest last month. I never saw the point of having a Pintrest account until I started looking for things to do with Reese each day. At first I was just bookmarking them on my computer but my bookmark page was getting too big, so I FINALLY joined Pintrest. This has been a lifesaver and it usually gives me and Reese something fun to do each day. Thank goodness for Pintrest {I didn't think I would ever say that}.
Getting out of the house is ESSENTIAL! If we don't leave the house sometime during the day I go CRAZY. So some days just walking over to check the mail is enough. Other days we go to Walmart to just walk around and be near other people. The park is a wonderful place where Reese gets out a lot of her energy {because lets face it she has WAY too much energy}. The pool is a lifesaver too and another way to get my kids nice and worn out. I love going out and about because it is a GREAT way to pass time.
I have learned so many things in the past month and half about grad school and trying to stay supportive. I am especially grateful that Ben sold for the past three summers because in a way I think that it kind of helped prepare me for the long hours of grad school. I never thought it possible to see less of Ben than when he sold but boy was I wrong.
I am sure I will learn plenty more in the next couple of years as we finish up this last stretch of school. I am so proud of Ben and all of his hard work. He is the BEST dad and husband we could ever ask for.
6 comments:
There will always be sacrifices to make in order to achieve something great. I love your outlook and your positivity.
I would say, reach out to those around you who might be in the same boat, you might find a great friend. As nice as it is to be a mother and have all that time with the children, we also need adult interaction. I'm sure with time you will have a great friend who you can trust and then, hey, you might even get to go on a date with Ben! :)
I feel for you! The sacrifices will all be worth it someday right? I have to remind myself of this all the time.
Hang in there! Just remember, when he's all done he'll be making a lot more money and working half the time, so it'll be worth it. I feel ya though, on the getting out and keeping Reese busy thing. If I don't have something for Madie she just drives me crazy! I need to be better though. Sometimes I just get lazy.
I know it is an adjustment but you will adjust. Things will get easier and then before you know it this phase of your life will be over. You are what I call a school induced single parent...I've been there friend.
I know it is an adjustment but you will adjust. Things will get easier and then before you know it this phase of your life will be over. You are what I call a school induced single parent...I've been there friend.
I can't even imagine doing what you guys are doing. I'm sure it is super hard. Good luck coming up with things for Reese to do and finding ways to get out of the house. {At least you won't have to worry about frigid winters so you have five months of the year you can't go outside!}
Post a Comment