Friday, March 23, 2012

Operation find an apartment

I never realized how blessed we are to live in Rexburg Idaho until now.  We are moving to Dallas in the middle of April so that means we need somewhere to stay.  We have been looking at apartments for about 2 weeks straight now.  I don't think I have ever looked at so many apartments in all of my apartment living life.  It is kind of scary to pick an apartment complex off of the internet because we don't know what the area is like or if the apartments are really as nice as the website makes them look.

We have been reading reviews about apartment complexes like crazy but that gets discouraging really fast because it seems like all of the reviews are negative.

Plus all of the apartment complexes that we have talked to have fees for EVERYTHING!  They have a fee for just filling out an application to live at their complex!  You have to pay for trash pickup, pest control, water, electricity, and then they can have all kinds of other fees.

This is why living in Rexburg for the past 3 and a half years has been such a blessing.  You can find a nice apartment for cheap.  There are no fees for anything.  You pay electric and that is it.  The community is safe and I don't feel like any of the apartments we have lived in have been trashy.  I have never been scared that my neighbors are sex offenders.  I have loved our time in Rexburg.

Thankfully we got a phone call  last night from Ben's mom who had a friend of Ben's with her.  This friend lives in Dallas right now and gave us some great tips.  He told us that it is worth it to pay for the more expensive apartments because they are safer.  He gave us some names of a couple of different complexes to check out.  So even though I don't want to pay almost a thousand dollars a month for rent I definitely think it is worth it when it comes to the safety of our family. 

Thankfully after that phone call from Ben's friend last night we have closed all 42 tabs that were open on our computer of apartment complexes to call and now we have it narrowed down to 4!

2 comments:

Mal said...

Ben's friend is probably right. Dallas has a very high crime rate. I'm sure if you type it into Google it will pull some stuff up.

Okay, I just did. Here's a site: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/dallas/crime/

Which certainly doesn't mean don't move to Dallas, it just means it's definitely worth paying for a safer community if you can.

Jessica :) said...

Holy cow! I always knew Rexburg was cheap in terms of rent and fees (even for the expensive ones) compared to other places but that is crazy! I hope you can find a place that you feel comfortable with soon. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...