Friday, October 14, 2011

The Crib

Reese has ALWAYS been a good sleeper until now.  This week she discovered that she can climb out of her crib.

Wednesday morning as I was getting ready to go to the gym, I heard Reese fussing in her room and thought, she will be fine and if she gets too bad Ben will get up with her.  Off to the gym I went.  An hour later I came home and the apartment was still dark.  I thought, great!  Reese went back to sleep.  But then I heard a bang, bang, bang.  I realized it was coming from Reese's room and I went to investigate.  I opened her door and there she was standing at the door trying to open it.  Great, I thought.  Maybe it was just a one time thing.

The next morning (Thursday) I hear Reese making noise again and then a bang, bang, bang.  She is out of her crib again.  That afternoon I put her in her crib for a nap and out she comes and this time she opens the door.  I put her back in and out she comes.  I put her in and out she comes again.  So then I tried laying by her crib and convincing her that naps were fun, but she didn't buy it.  She screamed and cried for a good half an hour until she finally cried herself to sleep.

That night the same thing happened.  We put her in her crib and she climbed right back out.  We put her back in and out she came.  We did this for about a half an hour until Ben left her bedroom door open a couple of inches and she finally fell asleep.

Today was the same thing again.  She WILL NOT stay in her crib!  And she has these pretty marks on her belly to show from climbing out of the crib.
We are debating if we should just switch her to a big girl bed and just get rid of the crib.  I am afraid she is going to hurt herself one of these times because it is quite the drop down.  I am hoping that the climbing out of the crib is just a phase, but who knows.

So if anyone has any suggestions out there of how to keep Reese in her crib, I would LOVE to hear them.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

We switched emma into a regular bed with the railing thing that you can just buy at walmart. She does great but then again she can't open doors. Maybe a regular bed with a door handle cover thing? Sometimes emma gets out of bed and we will find her asleep on the floor but I figure she is safe in her room and will eventually fall asleep. GOOD LUCK!!!

Mal said...

Put a baby gate in front of the door. As for climbing out of the crib--and I know this sounds dark ages-harsh, but it worked--my parents put an extra hole in an old belt and tied one end around the crib rail and the other around my brother's leg. He was the only climber they had to do that to, and a lot of people will say it hurts them so it's up to you. I say, don't put it against her bare skin and it won't hurt as much as a broken limb. (Make sure you put it on a rail that's against the wall, otherwise it would just be worse when she climbs out and then gets twisted up on the way down.)

Kelda said...

oh gosh this is my nightmare!!! Isabel's a great sleeper too and I know when she figures out how to get out she's just gonna want to play. I've thought about this since it is a fear of mine haha and figured once she learns to climb out I'll put her in a toddler bed and put a child safe handle on the door so she can't get out. Then she'll at least eventually fall asleep, even if it's not in her bed. I imagine by her books haha. What a bummer! Isabel has started putting her foot up trying to climb out but I don't know if she has the upper body strength yet. Good luck!!!

Robby and Brittany Williams said...

This is just a funny story, I'm not saying you should do this by any means, but... When my mom was young she used to tend these twins who were holy terrors. They would climb out of their cribs all the time, so the family started turning the crib up-side down on top of them like a cage to keep them in.

Kelda said...

just read the comment by the williams and my mother in law had to do that with my husband when he was little lol. He was a terror!! I think they did it with the playpen.

Sausha said...

Oh my goodness! Esther accidentally flipped herself out of her crib once, but it knocked the wind out of her and I think she is afraid to try again. Hopefully this will not happen in our home! Good luck with it though!

Unknown said...

well you can buy a crib tent, if you want to keep her in her crib. as for the door, you could put a safety lock on it or turn the door knob around so you can lock her in. sterling can take the safety lock off, but that will take her some practice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...