Friday, June 10, 2011

Alcoholics Anonymous

Living in Oklahoma City for these past few months have taught me some VERY important lessons.
1.  Always ask for a drink that is non-alcoholic
2.  Never assume a drink doesn't have alcohol in it...looks can be deceiving
3.  Always, ALWays, ALWAYS ask before for picking up a drink

Me and alcohol have had quite the run in here in Oklahoma.  We live in these SUPER nice apartments.  I LOVE them, but the apartment complex was made for single college students and most things that the apartment complex does are for them.  One Saturday in May the apartment threw a BBQ and had free food and music.  The food was EXCELLENT.  I went to get a drink and noticed LOTS of alcohol.  I asked for a non-alcoholic lemonade.  As I was waiting for my drink I noticed a pitcher with kiwis and strawberries in it and I heard someone say that it was kiwi, strawberry, lemonade.  YUMMY!  I knew I had to go back and get some later on.  So I ate my dinner with two other girls whose husbands are out here also.  I told them about this yummy looking drink that I wanted to run back down and try before we left.  On our way out we stopped to get that delicious looking strawberry, kiwi, lemonade drink.  One of the other wives went first and placed her order.  The lady at the bar asked if she wanted a different drink for her little boy, my friend said no and that she would share her drink with him.  The bartender said, "what!?!?"  My friend repeated that she would share her drink with him.  This lady flipped, that drink has alcohol in it she said.  Needless to say we couldn't stop laughing on our way home.

Last weekend the apartment complex was having a brunch.  One of the other wives and myself decided to go.  We got there and they had all of this YUMMY food.  They had muffins, fruit galore, parfaits, biscuits and gravy, and yummy seasoned potatoes.  It was delicious.  For a drink they had orange juice.  It looked innocent, but as I learned looks can be deceiving.  I picked up my glass of orange juice on my way out and took a sip.... BLAH!!!  It was the MOST disgusting thing in the WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD!!!  Seriously, who puts alcohol in orange juice!?!?  I couldn't believe it!!!  I went and threw it down the sink and washed my mouth out with some water.

The sad thing about this second experience is Ben had told me the night before to make sure that I asked someone about the drinks before I picked one up.  But SERIOUSLY who would have ever thought that there would be alcohol in orange juice.  Maybe I am just extremely naive but I never thought I would have to worry about a glass of orange juice.

So what have I learned?
I ALWAYS need to...
1. ask for a non-alcoholic drink
2. Never assume ANYTHING
3.  Never pick up a drink without asking what is in it
Lesson learned!!

8 comments:

Derik and Jessica said...

How funny! I would have picked up the OJ too.. Guess I will have to find a new role model! JK. Hope you are having fun in Oklahoma

Robby and Brittany Williams said...

It's called a screw driver (OJ and vodka). I'm sad that I know that and I'm sad that people feels it's necessary to have alcohol in the morning. What a sad commentary on society. But I'm glad you're having fun in OK. I love you're blog and I miss you and Chelle-belle. Will you be back in Rexburg in the fall? We should try to get together.

Jessica :) said...

I would never suspect orange juice. I'm not sure why anyone would want to start their day drinking alcohol. Bleh. Or end it for that matter. :P But really, I would never think I'd have to double check on OJ. I guess you never know, though. If I ever move to a big city, I'll have to remember this lesson you've taught me. ;)

Mal said...

Like Robby/Brittany said, it's a screw driver. It used to be really popular among underage drinkers in Maine since it looks just like regular orange juice so they could carry it around with them. Frankly, I'm not a big orange juice fan, so that wouldn't have been my problem. But I figure, if people put alcohol in coffee, hot chocolate, tomato juice, and lemonade, why not put it in orange juice? Hahahaha! That first story though--the little kid and the lemonade--was hilarious!

Mikki and Greg said...

This is too funny! And a little sad that people think they can't have a good time without boozing it up. I went to a wedding once and we were trying to get all these people to get up and dance with us and they said, "Oh no, no. We haven't had anything to drink yet" ??? We hadn't either!

Anyway I love reading what you guys are up to! And sounds like you're having all kinds of fun :)

The Gulls said...

Way to go written! You finally had your first drink. Haha. Good thing it tasted gross and you could tell something was wrong with it.

The Gulls said...

That's suppost to say way to go kristen...not written.

Crystal and Kyle said...

That's cool that your complex does free food and parties. Guess you'll know to bring your own drinks down with you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...