Let me back-up a few years . . . quite a few years to when I was a little girl. I had a dream of how I wanted to be proposed to. I wanted my future husband to propose to me in front of the Salt Lake temple and I wanted it to be a complete and total surprise.
Well back to my story. Ben and I had been dating for 2 months and we were pretty darn serious about each other . . . we knew we were going to get married sometime in the near future {probably sometime in December}. I had told Ben what kind of cut of diamond I wanted and that was about it. My mom had even asked me when we were going go ring shopping and I told her that I didn't know. I was just waiting for Ben to take me.
At the end of July my family was going on our yearly summer vacation to Bear Lake, well I had asked Ben to come with us and he was coming! I was so excited for him to come with my family on our vacation and spends tons of time with him.
We had fun boating, playing tennis, swimming, watching movies together, playing games, taking family pictures and just being together. Ben was so lucky, my parents agreed that Ben could join in on our family picture! Lucky boy, but my mom told him he better not mess up our picture!
On our way out to the car I saw Ben putting his laptop and a couple of blankets in the back of his car. I asked him what all that stuff was for. We had started the movie "What's up Doc" a few night ago but I had been so tired that night I couldn't keep my eyes open and he told me that he wanted to finish the movie when we found a good place to pull over. Ben kept driving and driving and driving trying to find a nice place to pull over and get out so we could watch our movie under the stars but we never found a good spot so we headed back to our condos. When we got back to our condos, Ben suggested we go out to the huge lawn and watch the rest of our movie. So off we went.
We laid out our blankets and Ben told me that he had a surprise for me. He pulled out his laptop and started a slideshow he had made of all of our fun adventures together. It was so cute and I thought he was so thoughtful to make me a slideshow of all the fun we had together over the summer . Then up popped a picture of the Salt Lake temple and the song "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" came on. I was totally and completely oblivious to what was happening.
We had been laying on the blanket but when the Salt Lake temple popped up Ben asked me to stand up. I of course told him no way because it was cold and there was no way I was getting out from underneath my blanket. Ben asked again and I stubbornly got to my knees and asked if that was good enough. He told me no and finally after much convincing I finally stood all the way up, I was still completely oblivious. Then Ben got on his knee and pulled out a ring box and finally the light clicked on! He asked me to marry him and how did I answer, "Are you serious!?!" I think Ben laughed and then asked me again and I repeated, "Are you serious!?!" Finally Ben convinced me that he was serious and I of course agreed!
Ben had made my dream come true! We were standing in front of a picture of the Salt Lake temple and he had completely and totally surprised me! A few weeks later I got to go and pick out the ring I wanted. We had originally planned on getting married in December after the semester was over but we decided we couldn't wait that long, so we pushed our wedding up to October 18th, 2008.
Saying yes to Ben was the best decision I have ever made! I have never regretted marrying him and I am so thankful that he is mine forever!
Happy Valentines Day!






3 comments:
Aw this is adorable! I love this post! It is so fun to hear engagement stories and to remember what life really is all about. Gotta love husbands :)
Ps. Benson is already a year old!? Crazy! Geez time flies! He is sooooo cute.
Wow time goes by so fast. Have a wonderful valentines day.! Love ya
Such a great story. When A.J. and I were dating we went to Bear Lake with his family and I happened to be in their family picture! We were engaged the next week. So funny.
Post a Comment