Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One of "those" days

Tonight I am grateful to be in my bed, eating dinner, with power in my apartment and not trapped in a Tornado Shelter or waiting for the Security officer to come and unlock my car because Reese and the keys are inside.  Yes, that is right folks, it has been ONE of  THOSE days. 

Today at about 3 p.m. my friend Heidi called me and told me that there was a tornado watch in affect today.  So Reese and I got a bag together with snacks, a blanket, diapers and wipes, and water.  We kept looking outside to see what the sky looked like and whenever we did we saw people packing suitcases and other things in their cars and leaving.  This was making a LITTLE bit nervous. 

I called Heidi and asked her if we could come over and wait out the storm at her apartment because she lives on the bottom floor and we live on the top.  When we got there she said that someone from the apartment complex had told her that everyone was to get out of the apartment complex and get in some kind of tornado shelter. 

She hurried and threw some things together and we headed to the mall where there was a tornado shelter.  Come to find out this "tornado shelter" wasn't under ground or anything.  It was just some back hallways and that is where we sat until about 7 o'clock tonight.  It was a long day but thankfully we are all safe and our homes are still here.

As we were unloading things from our bags I put Reese in the car and set the keys on the seat like I always do.  Reese and Heidi's little girl were playing inside the car.  Reese rode over to the mall with Heidi, so I needed to transfer her car seat into our car.  I shut the door to the car so Reese wouldn't fall out and got the car seat out of Heidi's car.  When I reached for the door handle of my car it didn't open...I could NOT believe it.  I tried all of the doors but they were all locked.  Thankfully Heidi and our new friend Reegan were still there.  Heidi called triple A and Reegan went and got the mall security officers.  The mall security officers were much quicker than triple A.  They had her out in no time. 

I just kept thinking how HORRIBLE of a mom I was to lock my child in the car.  I kept worrying that she was getting too hot.  I worried that she was going to slip off the seat and hurt herself and I wouldn't be there to kiss it better.  I always told myself that I would NEVER accidentally lock my child in the car...look at me now.  Thankfully it wasn't a hot day and Reese was having a blast being in the car all by herself.

I am so grateful for good people who are willing to help.  I am grateful to be home in my bed.  I am grateful to be eating dinner finally.  I am grateful that it wasn't a hot day.  I am grateful that Reese is not trapped inside our car anymore.  And I am SO thankful that today is over.

5 comments:

Robby and Brittany Williams said...

That's a rough day. :( I've been watching the news stories on the tornados in the mid-west and they look terrifying. I'm glad you and your family are safe.

Mal said...

Yikes! I'm glad you guys are okay! I'll be praying for you.

If it makes you feel any better, I've driven all the way home before and then found out when I went to get her out of the car that I had totally put Madie in her seat without buckling! Yeah...how's that for neglect?

The Rexburgites said...

So intense! I'm glad things worked out. Everyone has horrific mother moments- Zoey fell off our bed a few months ago and I felt TERRIBLE. You are a great mom!

A.J. and Ashley said...

I thought about you when I heard about the tornado. I'm glad you are all okay.

Jessica :) said...

Scary! I would probably be so worried also. I'm glad everything went okay and that you are home now. I'm sure all of us those "I'm a horrible mom" moments. I've gone on trips without buckling the car seat around Livie, taken her outside without sunscreen or a hat, and fed her food that had gone bad before I realized it was bad. Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad you guys are okay and that the intense day is over. Hopefully you don't have any more days like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...