Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blood

The first time I gave blood I was a freshman in college.  They tell you to eat a bunch of food before giving blood so me and my roommates went and ate a bunch of pizza.  We then went on our way to give blood.  When we got there they talked to each of us and then hooked us up.  I couldn't watch the nurse stick the needle in my arm because it grossed me out BIG time.  The nurse got the needle in and I was okay.....phew!
As I sat there giving blood I started feeling really queasy.  I decided telling myself that I was okay.  The nurse noticed that was taking deep breaths and asked me if I was okay.  I told her I felt like I was going to throw up.  So she leaned my chair way back and told me to take deep breaths.  So I did.
She finally shut the tube off that was pumping my blood and let me recover.  I told her I was fine and she leaned my chair up.  She told me to take it easy and just sit in that chair for a few minutes.  But my roommates were through giving blood and I wanted to leave with them.  I told her I was fine and ready to go so she let me go but told me to take it easy.
I got up walked over to my roommates and all of a sudden the room began to spin.  My roommates asked me what was wrong and I told them I was going to throw up.  All of a sudden I saw a nurse running at me with a bucket and right as she reached me...I tossed my cookies (or pizza in this case).  Yeah giving blood wasn't what I expected.
Fast forward 2 years.  I was living at home with my parents and my next door neighbor was doing a blood drive at the church.  He was giving me a hard time about not signing up to donate my blood.  I tried not listening to him but he kept bugging me. 
The day of the blood drive comes and my dad is headed out the door to go to the blood drive and I decide to join him.  We get to the church and my dad goes first.  At little while latter they come and get me so that I can give blood too.  They put the needle in, I still can't watch, and they start pumping my blood.  I was doing great.  No queasy feeling or lightheadedness :o). 
About 5 or 10 minutes later the nurse notices that my blood isn't pumping very fast and decided to take the needle and move it around while it is still inside my arm.  Bad idea.
I start feeling super queasy.  I try taking deep breaths and telling myself that I am okay.  It's not working.  My dad noticed that I had turned white and sent a nurse over to me.  They asked me if I was okay and I told them no.  Sooo...they leaned my chair way back and told me to breath.  They turn my pump off and tell me to relax.  I relax and get some special treatment...cookies and water...yessss.  It was definitely worth it.  At least I didn't throw up!
I haven't had a problem with blood since then, but yesterday was quite the day.  I had just put Reese down for a nap.  I was surfing the web when outside my door I hear some tumbling noises and then a woman start screaming.  I opened my door and there is blood everywhere.  I look down and this ladies big toe is gushing blood.  I run back inside and get a towel.  We wrap it around her toe and I am not sure what to do.  Another neighbor comes out and says we need to take her to the ER, but the girl doesn't want to go.  The girl then unwraps her toe and the toenail is just hanging there so she decides that she is going to tear her own toenail off.  I couldn't handle that.  I started feeling super queasy.  I started taking deep breaths and telling myself that I was okay. 
I couldn't handle it...I ran inside and tossed my cookies.  So I wasn't much help to the lady outside my door gushing blood.  Thankfully some maintenance men heard her screaming and got the managers of the complex and they took care of her.
My poor children.  I hope they never seriously injure themselves...because I don't know that I will be much help.
On a happier note our little girl sat up by herself without our help for the first time today.  We were quite impressed!  Thankfully there was no blood involved! :o)

6 comments:

The Gulls said...

yaaay for reese poo for sitting up on her own. gees by the time you get home and bring her to our house she will be walking. :) that sounds gross about that ladys toe. yucky

Kelda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelda said...

I can't believe she's sitting! What a great day. I hear once they sit and can play on the floor life gets a lot easier! I gave blood once in college and it was my last. no pucking or anything but they couldn't find the vein and she they kept digging with the needle, it was awful! never again lol. oh, so it seems our girls are very much similar in height and weight. Do people tell you all the time how long Reese is? Someone thought Izzy was 7 months lol so weird.

Becca Welch said...

hahaha! I love that story, you sound like my hubby, he can't handle blood either. Luckily I am a ER nurse so Adam won't be doing much there. Your little girl is growing up so much, I love seeing her videos and pics. Love ya-Becca

Luke and Mariah said...

hahahaha!! What great stories! I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles giving blood! Ha ha! I loved reading this!

Tari said...

I hate throwing up! But I don't think you'll have as hard of a time with taking care of your children's open wounds. I always dry heave whenever I hear or see someone throwing up, but Nathan has been throw-up sick a couple of times, and it doesn't phase me. Even when I'm holding a bucket to his mouth!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...